Observation discussion - build pupils’ intrinsic motivation to engage with the lesson
Teaching techniques to focus feedback on
To have planned and practised using strategies that build pupils’ intrinsic motivation to engage with the lesson.
Observe your teacher and consider how they help to build pupils’ intrinsic motivation to engage within their lesson. The following strategies were covered in the online study materials:
- Providing opportunities for pupils to experience meaningful success
- Creating a positive learning environment where it’s safe to make mistakes
- Generating buy-in by linking success in school to pupils’ long-term goals
Praise, probe and set precise actions
The following practise should be focused around the outcomes of the probe and precise actions, so that it is specific to your teacher’s developmental needs. However, below are some practise ideas based on the online study content to support you if needed.
Plan and practice ideas
Work with your teacher to plan and practise how to ensure a high level of engagement during a lesson.
Key questions and talking points
- Why is it important to develop intrinsic motivation?
- What different ways can you help pupils to journey from being extrinsically motivated to being intrinsically motivated?
- How can you develop a positive learning environment where it’s safe to make mistakes? What impact might this have on pupils’ learning?
- Do you teach any pupils who are disengaged with their learning? If so, what strategies could you implement to increase their motivation?
- How can your expectations impact upon pupils’ outcomes?